Translate

Monday, September 9, 2013

Do Mosquitoes prefer Mexican Food?


Do Mosquitoes prefer Mexican Food?

A little family joke we have is that “mosquitoes prefer Mexican food.” This came about over years of observable differences in the amount and the intensity of mosquito attacks that I would endure while my esposa smugly stood by seemingly invisible to the little blood suckers.

One instance painfully stands out in my memory. We had just moved to Washington from California, 25 years ago, and were exploring all the cool outdoorsy places in the vicinity (this was before niños.) While hiking in one of the many areas within Mount Rainier National Park, we came into a particular meadow that was swarming with mosquitoes—flimsy little brown kamikazes that instantly were attracted to me. This was before we knew the necessity of DEET in the Pacific Northwest. Unprepared to chemically fend off the cloud of parasites, we had no choice but to run, which we did for about a quarter mile. When we surveyed our bodies for damage, my skin was decorated with at least twelve little reddening bumps while Lori had…..ninguno! Why was she immune?  Or was I just all the more appealing? My wife, la güera, is of German descent, so we concurred that mosquitoes prefer chile verde to Sauerkraut, ja ja.

Last week, during the last vestiges of summer vacation, Lori called me out to the backyard patio one evening. The sun was setting, the air was pleasant, and she was having dinner at the patio table. I warned her that the mosquitoes were out, but she insisted I join her. Well, it was tolerable. She had an anti-bug candle burning, and nothing actually bit me. But I did get those annoying little buzzes right in my ear—the type that make you actually slap your ear. Meanwhile, Lori sat completely unbothered.

As a biologist I can’t help but wonder why mosquitoes are not universal in their preferences. Are there truly different chemical signals that people give off that make them more or less appealing?  Do these differences correspond to ethnic groups? Without wanting to get too serious about researching this topic, I turned to that relatively recent demigod of wisdom: YouTube. I found a funny little video, presented by BBC journalist James May, that illuminated reasons why mosquitos seek the sangre of some people more than others.

It turns out that blood type is one factor. People with Type O are up to 24% more attractive to mosquitoes than others. My mujer is Type A (in more ways than one, ja ja), and so when given the choice, the lovely little flying syringes gravitate towards me: the universal donor. 

Palabras Profundas

Mosquito
The name of our villain is itself a Latin derivative. Mosca is the Spanish word for “fly” (as in those pesky little flying insects), and “mosquito” is the diminutive form. It literally means “little gnat.” Not surprisingly, “mosquito” is an English/Spanish cognate.

Sangre
This lovely word means “blood.” And it’s related to sangria, one of my favorite drinks at Azteca®. The Latin root of this bloody word finds itself distributed throughout the English lexicon. Even in biology, the term “sanguivore” turns up—as a drinker of blood. That would include vampire bats, leeches, and those female (p***a) mosquitoes.

Linkos

This humorous and informative video by James May gives some scientific reasons as to why some people are more prone to getting bit by mosquitoes than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment